Published on: 11/7/18
Stress addiction, as it happens is not as uncommon as you would think. But, here’s the good news! - You can actually break the stress cycle if you are conscious and considered in your efforts to overcome your addictions to being frazzled.
Here are some helpful ways that could help you to overcome stress addiction:
1 Recognize your Stress Triggers
- When we feel stress, our body sends signals and our heart beats rapidly, we begin to sweat, our respiration increases and our digestion decreases. What signals do you recognize? Once you’ve identified your primary sources of stress, it’s important to work out strategies to help you cope with them. Maybe try some of the following!
2 Change your Mindset!
- Changing your way of thinking it isn’t easy, but with some training and practice, we can adjust our minds to be more naturally positive– for example, if a situation that you can’t change is giving you stress, instead consider how you can approach this situation with a calm and positive attitude.
- Don’t beat yourself up about things that aren’t in your control, focus less on what you did or didn’t do. Take control of your emotions and assert your feelings, opinions, and beliefs instead of becoming angry, defensive, or passive. This will make it easier for you to deal with.
3 Live a Healthy Lifestyle!
- Your body is much better at fighting stress when it’s fit and healthy. Exercising regularly and eat healthy, nutritious, well-balanced meals with plenty of raw fruits and vegetables, will enable your body to deal better with stress.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Your body needs time to recover from stressful events.
You can read the effects of stress on our body’s and diet in our articles Stress- Stress- How it Affects Diet and Your Endocannabinoid System and 10 Ways Stress Destroys our Bodies
4 When You’re Off Work, Mean It!
- Try to make weekends and vacations truly a time for relaxation. You can use the “out-of-office reply” feature on your email to let people know your availability (or lack of).
- Make the most of the time to do things you enjoy and give your brain a chance to recharge and make time for your hobbies and passions
- Sure, it won’t be easy to disconnect from your smartphone initially, but breaking your stress addiction requires you to significantly reduce your screen time. Set your own rules like not checking your email or social media during meal time, start with small periods and work your way up to a WHOLE day at the weekend
- Set limits appropriately and learn to say no to requests that would create excessive stress in your life.
5 Consider a Natural Stress Reliever
- Sometimes, a quick fix stress reliever can help us to calm down in particularly challenging situations.
- A natural remedy like CBD hemp oil or essential oil like lavender and ylang-ylang can calm and boost your mood. Potentially helping to provide a rapid source of stress relief by helping reduce symptoms
- Meditation yoga practices like Nidra yoga can help to keep us calm, focus our minds and improve our outlook on life. Here’s our guide on how to do Nidra Yoga for ultimate relaxation.
We all need to think differently about excess stress - it doesn’t necessarily mean we are working effectively and our addiction could be causing us some serious health problems both in the short and long-term.
If you are suffering from stress or have a potential stress addiction, talk to someone. Speak to your friends and family and seek out the support that you deserve.
Maintaining a positive outlook can, at times, be tricky, but when we rewire our brains to relax and take life as it comes, our ability to actually deal with stressful situations can greatly improve.
Disclaimer: Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of Endoca and its staff. This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or cure. Endoca CBD products have not been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).