What is CBD For Dogs? – All You Need Before You Start!
As the popularity of cannabidiol (CBD) grows, many users are finding that CBD is not just for humans but can also be used by dogs and other pets too. The wellness CBD market aimed at pets sells everything from doggy treats to CBD oil for dogs. But are they safe and how do you choose the right product?
As a dog parent, you want to make sure you are giving your dog the best. It can be heartbreaking to see your pup in distress or pain, as dogs can sometimes fall victim to the same illnesses that humans do. However, it is essential that you always do your research and seek professional veterinarian advice before you take the leap and use CBD for dogs.
Here we take a look at all the things you need to consider before you take the next step. From how to use CBD for dogs, to how to choose the right product. In this article we will cover:
- What is CBD for dogs?
- How does CBD work for dogs?
- What are the benefits of CBD for dogs?
- Is CBD for dogs safe and legal?
- How to choose the right CBD product for your dog
If you are new to the idea of CBD for your furry friend, let’s start with the basics!
What is CBD for dogs?
CBD for dogs is actually no different from CBD for humans. CBD is, in fact, a molecule and not a product. Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is a therapeutic plant compound, found naturally in cannabis sativa, (hemp plants).
While most people are familiar with other cannabis compounds such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the molecule in cannabis which causes the ‘high’ effect. There may be some confusion amongst new users as to the differences between the CBD and THC.
CBD isn’t psychoactive so it won’t make your dog high.
Still not sure what CBD is? You may also like to read our what is CBD? page for more information.
So, how does CBD work for Dogs?
CBD works by stimulating the endocannabinoid system, which is an internal network that restores balance in the body. Dogs just like humans also have an endocannabinoid system that controls bodily functions such as pain, inflammation, digestion, cognitive functions, and immunity.
CBD is a phytocannabinoid found in hemp plants, that stimulates the endocannabinoid receptors. CBD stimulates the CB2 cannabinoid receptors in the body in a similar way to humans.
To find out how CBD works in the body, read our what are the effects of CBD oil page for more information.
What are the benefits of CBD for dogs?
The balancing effect of CBD is thought to help enhance general well being, as well as generating feelings of calm. Even though CBD for pets is widely used, there isn’t much scientific evidence that proves how CBD for dogs works. However anecdotal evidence from pet owners has reported that CBD can be used for a wide range of issues.
How to use CBD for dogs
There are various different methods of giving CBD to your dog. The more conventional way of administering CBD to dogs is with CBD oil drops. However, dogs can sometimes wiggle around or might be sensitive to the taste of hemp which may make it harder to give them their daily dose.
Making CBD dog treats that contain CBD or mixing CBD oil or crystals directly into your dog’s food is an easy and convenient way to give CBD to your dog and also helps bypass the hemp taste.
We’ve put a short video together to show you how you could give your dog CBD.
One of the best ways to administer CBD oil is under the tongue, this method offers the fastest delivery of CBD into the bloodstream with quick results. Try adding a few drops of CBD oil directly to your dog’s mouth or try adding it directly to food. CBD crystals can also be used to make your own CBD dog treats as an alternative.
Is CBD safe and legal?
As CBD is found in the cannabis plant it may be confusing for some users regarding the legality of CBD products. While there aren’t any regulations, specifically for CBD and pets. The general laws for CBD do apply.
CBD derived from hemp is considered legal at a federal level in the United States, however, CBD derived from cannabis is still deemed illegal at federal level. So how does that affect you and what you should give you dog? In most states in the U.S hemp-derived CBD is legal under the guidelines on the U.S hemp farm bill.
However, state by state laws do vary and there are some states that do not allow the use of CBD, regardless of whether comes from hemp. To find out more about where CBD is legal always check the proper government and state guidelines where you live.
Is CBD for dogs safe?
Where your CBD is derived from is important when considering safety, not all CBD products come from reputable sources and may contain mislabeled amounts of CBD or contain toxins and other chemicals that are not safe for your pup.
There isn’t any evidence that the CBD compound itself is not safe for dogs, however, CBD products might be mixed with other ingredients. Look for organic certification, 3rd party testing, and hemp-derived products.
Possible side effects
- Dry mouth: For dogs, this could be seen as increased thirst.
- Drowsiness: This side effect could be characterized as light drowsiness, which is more common with higher doses.
- Lowered blood pressure: This may result in lightheadedness or dizziness.
The compound CBD is known to only have therapeutic benefits and is non-psychoactive, therefore it won’t make your dog ‘high’.
Choose CBD products that are derived from hemp to ensure you are receiving the lowest and safest levels of THC (0.3 %).
Follow our “CBD for Dogs Dosage-Guide” for the suggested CBD dosages for your dog.
What to consider when giving CBD to dogs
- Always tell your vet – If you are thinking of giving your dog CBD for the first time. Keep your vet informed. While not all vets know all the ins and outs of CBD, they will be able to help you with any medical questions.
- Research research and more research – This is one of the most important factors in giving CBD for your dog. As well as finding the best quality CBD product. Also, consider looking at the latest medical research on CBD for dogs from a trusted medical website. Read more than one source and weigh up the pros and cons.
- Find out how much CBD is right for your dog based on its weight and size – try our dosage guide.
- Not all CBD products come from hemp – Choose high quality over CBD for pets gimmicks. It’s important to note that not all CBD is hemp-derived, so always check the ingredients and the source of your CBD. CBD derived from marijuana has more THC which is not advised for pets. Hemp-derived CBD contains 0.3% THC or less. While CBD isolate or broad-spectrum CBD oil formulas are THC free.
- Not all CBD oil products are created equal – The CBD industry is unregulated which leaves it open for producers to sell poor quality products that are aimed at pets. Always choose high-quality CBD products from trusted producers that have been 3rd party tested, to check for heavy metals, chemicals, and any other contaminants. Also, make sure they show their lab results
- CBD is CBD – You may be wondering if you have to buy CBD oil specifically for dogs or if you can use CBD oil that is marketed towards humans.
CBD is a plant molecule, therefore the CBD found in regular CBD oil products for humans is the same as the CBD you will find in CBD for pets products. The main differences between regular CBD and CBD for dogs is the amount of CBD that is found in the product, the other ingredients it has been mixed with and how it has been produced. Most of our furry friends are much smaller than us, so they will require a much smaller dose than humans do.
These are just some of the main factors to consider. But ultimately the choice is yours to make, it is always advised to find out the facts before you begin.
Final tips for giving CBD to your Dog
- Always keep your CBD dog products well labeled and out of reach – CBD dog treats can easily be mistaken for regular dog treats or even human treats. So always make sure you keep them well labeled and out of reach of your dog and small children. If they take too much it could cause unwanted side effects.
- Never put glass droppers in your dog’s mouth – When administering CBD oil to your dog, especially if it’s with a glass dropper, always keep it away from your dog’s mouth as they have sharp teeth and the glass could shatter and cut your dog’s mouth or your hands.
- Keep good hygiene – Never put the glass droppers directly into your dog’s food or mouth and put it back in the bottle. This could introduce bacteria and contaminate the CBD oil. Add drops to your finger or add drops from a height.
- Be aware of possible bad reactions – There is a possibility like with any new product you give your dog that there could be side effects. So keep a journal and monitor the results. If you see your dog is having any adverse reactions, always seek medical advice from a professional veterinarian.
Still, have questions about CBD for dogs? While we can’t give you medical advice on what’s best for your dog’s conditions or illnesses. We can answer your questions about Endoca CBD products. You can talk to our customer care team in the chatbox and we’ll be more than happy to assist you. For more medical-related questions, always ask a professional vet.
Endoca CBD products are not created to treat, cure or diagnose any illness, diseases or condition. Please always consult a professional and qualified vet before you give your dogs or pets CBD products. While there are many anecdotal reports on the effect of CBD for dogs, please always be aware that CBD can affect each person and animal differently. Always do your research and look for the best quality for your pet.